The Greemann Furniture legacy began March 11, 1919 as Reliable Furniture Store at 210-212 West Second Street in downtown Seymour. The business was owned and operated by Harvey W. Greemann, and his wife Mary.
Prior to opening the retail store Mr. Greemann was engaged in the furniture manufacturing business in the Greemann Brothers factories located in Seymour and Batesville, Indiana.
Mr. Greemann retired from active management of the business in 1937. Harvey’s sons Wilford (Bill) and Harvey G Greemann took the reins. The business moved to its present location at 205 South Chestnut Street in the fall of 1940, quadrupling its floor space.
The business continued until August 1942 when both Wilford and Harvey were called to service in World War II to defend our country. During the war, the north side of the current showroom was occupied by the USO, providing a cantina, shuffleboard courts, and a dance floor for use by the servicemen at Freeman Field.
Greemann’s Furniture reopened May 14, 1946 and thrived for many years managed by the two brothers. In 1977, Wilford bought Harvey’s interest in the company and became sole owner.
Wilford retired in 1980, and his son Nicholas took over management of the store, continuing the legacy his grandfather and grandmother started so many years before.
In 2008, Greemann’s acquired the adjoining building at 211 S. Chestnut Street and renovated it to become Greemann’s Mattress Gallery. This new addition helped round out the selection of fine furniture and bedding that has become synonymous with the Greemann name.
Greemann’s Furniture & Mattress Gallery is proud to have provided quality home furnishings to Southern Indiana for nearly 100 years, and we look forward to serving you for many more…
205 South Chestnut St., Seymour, Indiana | 812.522.2397